Collection Manager Kaiwhakahiato
Tairāwhiti Museum is a much-loved community organisation, committed to sharing the art, culture and history of Tairāwhiti through exhibitions, collections, events and educational programmes.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced Collection Manager to join our team.
The successful applicant will lead in the development, management and care of the Tairāwhiti regional collection of objects, art, taonga Māori, archives and photographs and ensure the museum delivers high standards in documentation, storage, loans and conservation. This role supervises one direct report, contract staff, interns and volunteers.
This role is pivotal to supporting the delivery of the museum’s public-facing services (exhibitions, education programmes, research, online access) with the intent of increasing access to, and enjoyment of the museum collection.
To fulfil the requirements of this busy, varied role we are looking for a self-directed, motivated and flexible team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Substantial experience of working within a museum or art gallery in a collections focused role
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience in applying appropriate standards in the care and management of museum collections
- A demonstrated commitment to facilitating and encouraging public access to collections and providing excellent customer service
- Experience and knowledge of working with collections management systems and a high level of general computer literacy
- Knowledge of te reo and tikanga Māori, and a clear understanding of the principles and practice of the Te Tiriti o Waitangi as they apply to museums
- A highly professional manner with excellent written, verbal, analytical and reasoning skills
- Leadership skills and experience, with excellent facilitation skills and the ability to bring people together and develop positive relationships
- A proven capacity for effective and positive communication, with strong reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work effectively under pressure, with highly organised work and time-management practices, attention to detail and strong multi-taking skills
- A proven ability to work as part of a team and develop and maintain relationships with museum stakeholders and communities
- Experience in project management, including an understanding of time and resource planning and monitoring
- An interest in and understanding of regional social history collections
- A mature approach, discretion, sensitivity and sound judgement
This is a permanent, full time (37.5) position.
Collection Manager Position Description 2022
This role will remain open for applications until the position is filled.
To apply please submit a completed Application Form along with your CV and covering letter to Eloise Wallace, Director Kaiwhakahaere in person at the museum, via post or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Eloise Wallace for more information.
Please note this is a re-advertised vacancy.